NLog Silverlight LogReceiverWebServiceTarget over https

NLog Silverlight LogReceiverWebServiceTarget over https

tobias
Hello,

I have configured Silverlight to log to a WCF service successfully via the LogReceiverWebServiceTarget class.
It works, but I have a big problem:
My production site is running over https and it seems, that NLog stops to send logging messages over to the WCF service.
In fiddler there is no sign that the logger is calling the service. Over http everything works fine.

The configuration is as follows:
SimpleConfigurator.ConfigureForTargetLogging(
     new LogReceiverWebServiceTarget()
     {
         EndpointAddress = "../LoggingService.svc",
         UseBinaryEncoding = false
     });

and the LoggingService derives from ILogReceiveServer.

Tobias

Re: NLog Silverlight LogReceiverWebServiceTarget over https

Jason LaFlair
Administrator
Check to see if your production system is using a self signed SSL certificate.  If so by default any connection will fail as the certificate is not 'trusted'.  Then you'd need to find out how to tell your wcf to trust it.

Re: NLog Silverlight LogReceiverWebServiceTarget over https

tobias
Hello Jason,

we are using a trusted certificate issued by Thawte. My app is calling lots of WCF RIA services on the same server without any problems. So I don't think that's the reason.
Nevertheless: how can I figure out if the SSL communication could be a problem?
I've also tried to call the service via the full qualified http:// url and it didn't work either.

Tobias

Re: NLog Silverlight LogReceiverWebServiceTarget over https

Jason LaFlair
Administrator
I guess the next step would be to turn on the NLog internal logging:

http://nlog-project.org/wiki/Configuration_file#Troubleshooting_logging

and see what that data provides.

Re: NLog Silverlight LogReceiverWebServiceTarget over https

sumitg
@tobias - were you able to figure out any resolution to the issue you were having with this service call over https? We are having a similar issue and would appreciate if you have any feedback on that issue.

Thanks