[POLL] Should all NLog.*.dll assemblies be merged into one?

[POLL] Should all NLog.*.dll assemblies be merged into one?

Please vote "yes"/"no"/"both" to this idea:

The goal is to keep binary portability of NLog (single binary that would
work in all supported environments) but make everything fit into one
assembly and dynamically ignore particular targets/filters/layout renderers
based on the runtime platform. So instead of having to deploy up to 5
assemblies, you'd have only one.

Technically this should be doable. I just wanted to know your opinion
whether it's worth it?

Option "yes" means merging NLog*.dll into a single NLog.dll
Option "no" means keeping NLog.dll, NLog.Win32.dll, NLog.Unix.dll and so on.
Option "both" means having two NLog distributions.

My vote is: "yes".

> Option "yes" means merging NLog*.dll into a single NLog.dll
> Option "no" means keeping NLog.dll, NLog.Win32.dll,
> NLog.Unix.dll and so on.
> Option "both" means having two NLog distributions.
>
> My vote is: "yes".

I vote yes also. I only see where two options are feasible from a
maintenance standpoint -- both would get to be a nightmare.

--G

Re: [POLL] Should all NLog.*.dll assemblies be merged into one?

Ron Grabowski
"yes"

--- Jaroslaw Kowalski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please vote "yes"/"no"/"both" to this idea:
>
> The goal is to keep binary portability of NLog (single binary that
> would
> work in all supported environments) but make everything fit into one
> assembly and dynamically ignore particular targets/filters/layout
> renderers
> based on the runtime platform. So instead of having to deploy up to 5
>
> assemblies, you'd have only one.
>
> Technically this should be doable. I just wanted to know your opinion
>
> whether it's worth it?
>
> Option "yes" means merging NLog*.dll into a single NLog.dll
> Option "no" means keeping NLog.dll, NLog.Win32.dll, NLog.Unix.dll and
> so on.
> Option "both" means having two NLog distributions.
>
> My vote is: "yes".
>
> Jarek

> language
> webcast
> territory!

RE: [POLL] Should all NLog.*.dll assemblies be merged into one?

Corneliu I. Tusnea-2
Yes. I hate it now when it gives exceptions on startup cose it can not bind
to assemblies I never deploy.

clab
My vote is Yes.
Thanks