Using NLog for a GAC component

DML

Using NLog for a GAC component

DML
I want to use NLog in my component but it is a component that is shared by multiple applications so has to be installed in the GAC.

This makes it difficult to use any assembly that does not reside in the GAC.

I noticed in the mail archves a comment about _not_ installing NLog in the GAC is this correct? If so how do I reference NLog without the reference breaking when my
component is loaded into a specific application (I cannot assume that each app will have NLog in its AppPath).

Re: Using NLog for a GAC component

It's perfectly ok to put NLog.dll in the GAC (along with NLog.Win32.dll, and so on). It just eliminates one option of having a shared config file that works with more than one app.

In general I prefer not to put ANYTHING in the GAC, because it has many weird effects which I find very annoying. I usually put all the binary components of my application into a single flat directory. If you prefer multiple directories, there's (almost) nothing wrong with copying NLog.dll along with each exe. But as usual, your mileage may vary.

--
Jaroslaw Kowalski
http://blog.jkowalski.net/

Sent from the NLog-list forum at Nabble.com.

Re: Using NLog for a GAC component

Unfortunately not. I'm not very good at MSI/MSMs so I am unable to provide one. It would be great if someone could contribute a merge module for NLog and integrate it into the build process.

--
Jaroslaw Kowalski
http://blog.jkowalski.net/
Thanks, is there a standard install/merge module for this scenario I wouldn't want my install to break someone else (or vice-versa).

Murray

I want to use NLog in my component but it is a component that is shared by multiple applications so has to be installed in the GAC.

This makes it difficult to use any assembly that does not reside in the GAC.

I noticed in the mail archves a comment about _not_ installing NLog in the GAC is this correct? If so how do I reference NLog without the reference breaking when my
component is loaded into a specific application (I cannot assume that each app will have NLog in its AppPath).

Sent from the NLog-list forum at Nabble.com.

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email, and any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the original copy and any copy of any e-mail, and any printout thereof.